Search This Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2011

West Kimhae

After exiting the roller coaster plane ride between Tokyo and Busan (very strong headwinds), I quickly made it through customs and found my luggage had also made the 6000 mile trip with me.  I loaded my luggage and exited out the gate to find a very young Korean couple holding a sign with my name in all caps.  Their large smiles and willingness to help with my luggage immediately eased some of the anxiety that came with the realization that this would be my home for the upcoming year.  The woman will be my school director and I believe the man was her husband/mate.  The car ride to West Kimhae from the airport was no more than about twenty minutes.  The skyline in Pusan is astounding large buildings in small clumps scattered around with large lights that reflect off the ocean.  Technology is everywhere with huge video boards, gps screens in most cars measuring 12-15", and tons of Hyundais.  The small talk was pleasant and she bought me a large bottle of water and a sandwich at the end of the trip.  My neighborhood has a large 24 hour convenience store, the elementary school that resembles an American school, and my apartment building which is a very narrow building in an alley.   
I arrived to my new apartment last night around 2030.  It is a small flat with a bathroom, a bedroom with bed, desk, and a wardrobe, and an outside covered porch with a large refrigerator, a washing machine, and sink.  At first glance, I thought I had no shower.  Then I realized that a shower head was placed above the sink.  On the floor is a drain and poof!! you have a shower that is effectively our bathroom as well.  I have noted the efficiency of the design and am very glad to have avoided the painful decision of picking out a shower curtain!  Overall, the apartment is a perfect size with heated floors and a massage chair.  Enough said!
?

No comments:

Post a Comment